Welcome to a world of healthy eating
Texas Nutrition Consultants, formerly Shelley Madsen & Associates, is one of the largest and most experienced practices of dietitians in Central Texas. Many of Central Texas’ healthcare providers such as primary care physicians, endocrinologists, cardiologists and psychologists refer their patients to us when their patients need expert advice.
As Registered Dietitians, we are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living. We make it easier for you and your family to eat better.
Whether you are diagnosed with diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia; considering gastric bypass surgery; or are just trying to gain or lose weight, we are here to help you!
In books, magazines, television and on the internet, everyone is so bombarded with diet tips that it is difficult to tell fact from fad. Our staff has the background knowledge and expertise to guide you to develop a healthy eating plan that works for you.
With a convenient office location in Austin, we serve clients from throughout the region and regularly have patients coming from Austin, Bastrop, Buda, Burnet, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, Elgin, Georgetown, Hutto, Kyle, Lakeway, La Grange, Leander, Marble Falls, Round Rock, Smithville, Taylor, West Lake Hills and Wimberly.
Diabetes and pre-diabetes
Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Weight loss surgery
We will be happy to work closely with your doctor so that you get the best care.
RD’s and LD’s are the only health professionals permitted to counsel patients on medically-necessary dietary intervention. There are no laws about what credentials are needed to go by the title of “nutritionist”.
If you are not sure if your insurance will cover our services, please contact your insurance company for verification.
We are currently contracted with and accept the following companies:
- United Healthcare
- BlueCross BlueShield
- Great West
- Beech Street
* Please Note: Unfortunately, we are not able to contract with TRICARE.
Here are some good reasons to consult with a dietitian at Texas Nutrition Consultants:
- You have diabetes, cardiovascular problems or high blood pressure. We can serve as an integral part of your health-care team by helping you safely change your eating plan without compromising taste or nutrition.
- You are thinking of having or have had gastric bypass surgery. Since your stomach can only manage small servings, it’s a challenge to get the right amount of nutrients in your body. We will work with you and your physician to develop an eating plan for your new needs.
- You have digestive problems. Our registered dietitians will work with your physician to help fine-tune your diet so you are not aggravating your condition with fried foods, too much caffeine or carbonation.
- You’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant. We can help make sure you get nutrients like folate, especially during the first three months of pregnancy, lowering your newborn’s risk for neural tube or spinal cord defects.
- Your child or teenager has issues with food, eating healthy, weight gain or weight loss. A registered dietitian can assist with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and overweight issues.
- You are struggling with disordered eating patterns, anorexia or bulimia. Our registered dietitians can help you to establish a healthier relationship with food.
- You need to gain or lose weight. We can suggest additional calorie sources, tips and strategies for healthy weight gain. OR, a calorie reducing eating plan, along with regular physical activity for weight loss while still incorporating your favorite foods. We all know that losing even a few pounds or preventing more weight gain has many important health benefits. However, losing weight can easily feel overwhelming with a busy life and complex health needs. Talking to a registered dietitian nutritionist is a great first step to getting organized, focused, and ready to improve your nutrition and transform your health!
- You’re caring for an aging parent. Our registered dietitians can help with food or drug interaction, proper hydration, special diets for hypertension and changing taste buds as you age.
- You want to eat smarter. We can help you sort through misinformation; learn how to read labels at the supermarket; discover that healthy cooking is inexpensive, learn how to eat out without ruining your eating plan and how to resist workplace temptations.
- You want to improve your performance in sports. Our registered dietitians can help you set goals to achieve results — whether you’re running a marathon, skiing or jogging with your dog. Whether you’re a casual or professional athlete, or somewhere in between, nutrition plays a key role in physical performance. We can guide you with your eating plan to ensure you are eating the right balance of foods to fuel your performance and reach your personal health and fitness goals.
- Pediatric health. Childhood is a time of growth and development. Good nutrition plays a key role in helping kids become healthy adults. Whether your child is overweight, underweight, is at risk for diabetes, or has feeding issues, we can provide specialized guidance needed to keep your child healthy and happy.